What Happens To The Ones I Love
It's very natural to be worried about your kids, partner or pets while you're in therapy, but there are several ways to make sure they're cared for when you are in rehab.
Family is one of the main concerns for individuals who are seeking treatment for addiction - here they will live, how to take care of financial obligations and communication during treatment.
Understanding your alternatives can help you make the right decision for you and your loved ones since these challenges can be beaten.
If you seek aid before you begin your rehab and if you plan thoroughly, then even while you are having treatment your loved ones will be safe.
- Who will take care of my kids while I am at a treatment centre?
- What happens if I do not have someone who can assist?
- What extra choices are present?
- Are loved ones allowed to visit me?
- While undergoing rehabilitation, who will take care of the financial needs of my family?
- How do I speak to my child regarding going to therapy?
- While at the rehab, what will happen to my pet?
- How can I keep in touch with my loved ones from treatment?
- How can I get treatment today?
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Child Care Choices For People In Rehabilitation
When you're a guardian highly considering therapy, getting a dependable caregiver for your children can be very tricky. While you're in treatment, there are several options available for child care.
The best choice is usually someone who your children already know and trust who is close to your family.
Get help with finding a rehab option by contacting us now on 0800 772 3971.
Most of the guardians in treatment request for assistance from their
- Other important people
- Their parents
- Your intimate friends
You can put them in the custody of reputable child care during the day if your friends and family have work or school to attend to. if there are child care services in your neighbourhood, some rehab centres can link you up with them if the rehab centre doesn't have one.
Some treatment centres will allow your kids to stay with you if you are a single parent. They can also help your kid if they have some psychological problems related to the addiction they will try to help you overcome.
If you want a rehab that accommodates kids, give us a call and we will get one for you.
How To Talk To Your Child Concerning Rehab
It is imperative that you intimate your child with your problem the importance of moving to a rehabilitation centre. This will help them in understanding and dealing with your absence. Blaming themselves for what led to the addiction will be eliminated.
There are some guidelines to follow when talking to your child
- Know as much as possible about rehabilitation and dependence on addictive substances.
- With more information, you will have an easier time explaining.
- Communicate in a language that is appropriate for their age and level of understanding.
- Exclude the medical language.
- Decide on the ideal moment to carry out the discussion.
- Serene surroundings are perfect if they have no distractions.
- Accept their feelings and the consequences of your addiction on their lives.
- Make an apology if you have caused them pain.
- Be open to questions and tell the truth.
- Remember to put emphasis on the fact that they are not the cause of your addiction and they cannot control your decisions and choices.
The "Seven C's" method was developed by the National Association for Children of Alcoholics to help children deal with their parent's substance abuse. Kids are urged to remember the "Seven Cs" to remind them that they're not the source of the difficulty. It also provides support for how to deal with their parent's addiction.
The Seven Cs
- I am not the cause
- I can't cure it
- I can't control it
- I can take good care of myself
- Through communicating my emotions
- Making healthy choices and
- Celebrating me
Non-Profit And Government Child Care Opportunities
Those who do not have family or friends to look after their children have other options. Safe Families for Children is an NGO that can handle that responsibility. These organizations discover short-lived residencies for kids whole guardians are incapable of caring for them. The safety of your kids is guarantee because the organization confirms the trustworthiness of the families that support them. While receiving treatment and after that, the parents of the kids can come for them.
Agreed placement in a foster family might be an option in your state if you can't find an organization that suits your requirements. This should, however, be your last choice.
You will have to sign a Voluntary Placement Agreement (VPA) if you opt to place your child in the foster care system. By doing so, you totally accept to short-lived shift the care and custody of your kid to the section of Children's services. You might have to pay monthly child support.
It is an alternative, although it may be terrifying to make that choice. If you are must go to the court as required by the agreement you sign with the VPA, do it. Don't forget that getting clean is what is best for your children and yourself.
Pet Care During Rehabilitation
In many families, pets are considered a loving member. Addicts who have pets are always concerned about the safety of the pets, the same way people with children feel concerned about their kids. There are options if family and friends aren't able to care for your pet while you're in treatment.
Even though long term stays can be a bit pricey, there are options for lengthy boarding in many boarding centres. Getting a sitter for your pet may be an affordable alternative especially for pets that need little care such as fish, cats or rodents. Pet sitters will come to your house a pre established amount of times a week to care for your pets. In some cases they may even agree to live with your pet at their home until you are back. Pets that require constant care, like dogs or other animals might be better off with this alternative.
You should ensure that the person you left your pet with while you are away has all the necessary guidelines, your pet's medical history and your vet or animal clinic emergency number. Be certain to give word to your Vet that your pet will be in the attention of a different individual for the period of your program.
Some treatment centres will allow you to bring your pet with you if leaving them is not a viable option. Despite this exercise becoming very popular, pet-friendly therapy is still very uncommon. You may be forced to go to another city or state to get a program. If you do not have access to a facility that allows you to reside with your pet, you may find one that lets your pet to be brought over during visits.
Visitation With Loved Ones When In Treatment
Many programs regard loved ones a huge section of your healing program and their help will be really significant to your recuperation.
To assist with adjustment, most forms of communication e.g. phone calls and emails along with visitors are permitted for the first week after arrival.
Many facilities let you have visitors when this first week passes.
Some let you have visitors every week or month, while others will even allow you to be visited during your free time every day. Each rehab has its own stipulated duration for visitors.
Adding your visitors to a list may be necessary after a counsellor agrees to their visits. Find out the facility's visitation policies to ensure that loved ones adhere to the requirements of the centre.
Communication With Friends And Family During Rehab
While you are in treatment you can talk with your friends and family in a few ways. Some centres permit the use of Internet and phones at specific hours of the day, although this is different from one facility to another. Sending and receiving letters is also permitted.
We have facilities that even allow you to receive care packages from your loved ones. Although, they will probably be accessed by staff immediately for security reasons. Confirm with your therapy's management to know which items are disallowed in care parcels.
Allowance may also be made for your family to receive treatment at the facility. Your family may be suffering from reliance on drugs too. The sessions are meant to facilitate recognizing the feelings of each family member and everyone's healing.
Financial Assistance For Your Family During Therapy
If there is a financial loss in your family while you are away, there may be too much financial pressure on the family as a result of your medical bill. There are various methods you can lower financial difficulties at some time, including
- Use your paid time off that you have left, as well as sick leave days after a discussion with your boss.
- Even if you don't have enough to cover the entire time, you'll still receive a pay check during some of your time in treatment.
- Your family and friends should be contacted for assistance.
- you'll be astonished by the number of individuals ready to donate toward therapy expenses of your family's living costs.
- Confirm with your health insurance firm to check whether they'll cover a section of your rehab.
- There are options in Medicaid / Medicare and the Affordable Care Act that might cover some of your rehab costs.
- You can also find out at your workplace if your employer offers short term disability and if they do, does it cover alcohol and drug rehab.
- These are different ways to help reduce the financial impact.
- You might be able to get more manageable payments if your facility offers special financing or payment plan options.
You can ask your creditors to give you more time or to modify the designated date for your payments if your loved ones fall behind on utilities while you are away. A lot of people will be prepared to cooperate with you because many know what addiction means and will want to support your decision to quit.
Choosing Addiction Treatment To Benefit You And Your Family
Having concerns about going into treatment and leaving your family behind is completely normal. Mostly everyone going into rehab shares these same feelings. But your recovery needs to be your primary concern and nothing should get in your way. At the end of the day, being sober is the best thing for you and the people you love.
Don't spend one more second of your lives on addiction.