What To Carry Along When Going For Rehab
There are certain items that are not allowed in a rehab facility and so when checking in, you need to be sure which ones are allowed.
Rehab centres have strict policies in place regard what an inpatient can bring with him or her. A recommended packing list is provided by most centres, which also provide you with a list of items that are prohibited.
You will be admitted to the clinic as you get to the rehab where the entrance process will start. During this time, the admissions team belonging to the centres will inspect your belongings to ensure safety and to understand whether any prohibited items are also included. All the details of what you came in with will be recorded in the patient property book.
Only the things that you really require are allowed in the centres. Different centres have different policies in place for extra stuff.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Looking For Packing Info
Have a look at the "What to Bring" section of your clinic's website you don't know what is allowed and prohibited or queries about packing. You can also get this info on their website. Some centres are known to offer packing checklists, which is printable that you can refer to while packing. Calling the rehab centre is an option in case you can't find packing information anywhere on the site. You will have all of your queries and doubts clarified. This will also be an opportune moment for you to inquire about anything that you were not sure with.
Recommended Items List For Rehabilitation
The things allowed in one rehab may not be allowed in others.
These are some of the things that you will find allowed in most rehabs
- Details of people who form your support group (family and close friends, doctors, 12-step sponsors, and others).
- You are also allowed to carry the jewellery which is used regularly and is considered as a necessity like your wedding rings or a watch.
- You should not bring costly jewellery items with you.
- An alarm clock without a radio.
- In other facilities, all necessities are provided and you are required to bring only yourself.
- All prescribed medications in their original bottle.
- Any medicine in liquid form must be new and sealed.
- You are also allowed to carry a list of all your medications along with the dosages required.
- Ensure you are some cash with you in small denominations.
- Your check book, credit or debit card for therapy medication expenses.
- Your insurance cards and an ID (driving license, passport, etc.)
- If you want to make long distance calls, bring a calling card with you.
- Your diary.
- Envelopes or stamps in instances where you need to write and mail letters to friends and family.
- Some picture of close relatives and friends.
- There are some items that you will get inside the rehab.
- You can bring your own, but rehabs usually allow books of some specific genre only like self-help, spiritually-oriented, etc.
- TIP It is recommended that you carry just paperback books because they are easy to carry around than hardcovers.
The Attire You Should Have With You
Some centres have prescribed dress codes or limitations that you have to consider. Include clothes for different weather conditions in your bag if you don't know how the climate is going to be.
This however does not mean that you should carry your whole closet.
Patients enjoy access to common laundry machines and therefore clothing that will last you for 7-10 days will be more than enough. Try not to bring clothes which require special washing like dry cleaning for example.
Ensure that you bring following clothes and items that will make your week comfortable
- Shoes Comfortable shoes for everyday use, tennis shoes for activities/sports and flip-flops for the shower.
- Shirts If you have tank tops you should also be looking forward to packing some cardigans to wear along with them to comply with the dress code of the centres.
- Shorts Lengths may be determined by the centre to comply with a dress code.
- A couple of special dresses.
- Bathing suit One is more than enough.
- A Jacket/Coat.
- Bathing robe.
- A belt.
- Caps or hats, although they may not be allowed indoors.
Beauty And Hygiene Products To Pack
A number of centres require alcohol-free toiletries and personal products. However, these requirements varies from one centre to another. You will not be allowed to carry aerosols.
You should be taking along 30-day requirements of toiletries and beauty products, including
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Hair styling products (pump hair spray only)
- Feminine wash or hygiene products
- Shaving cream
Items Not To Take To Rehab
All rehabs have strict rules and do not allow certain prohibited items within the centres. The measures taken to ensure your safety and to create the best environment for your recovery. The names of items in the prohibited items list vary from facility to facility; however nearly every centre prohibits these
- Drugs and alcohol
- Sedatives or forbidden prescriptions
- Pornographic materials
- Food and drinks
- Personal hygiene and beauty products that have alcohol (mouthwash, colognes, etc.)
- Electronic cigarettes of any form of vape.
- Unsealed over-the-counter medicines
- Nail polish, polish remover and synthetic nail related products
- Video games and movies in any media
- Sport equipment
- Clothing that is not descent
- Ammonia, bleach, and other stuff used in cleaning
- Electronic gadgets
- Games and playing cards
- Incense or candles
- Drug related clothing
While you might not expect certain things to be banned, like electronic products and sport equipment, but many centres do not allow them. The idea behind banning them is to minimize distractions and help you stay focused on recovery. The centre houses most such items and you will enjoy access to them as per the guidelines of your centre.
Most clinics will prohibit food and drinks coming from outside as they don't respect proper sugar and caffeine quantities. Three healthy meals, beverages, and snacks are provided by the centre. You will have to inform the centre if you have any special dietary requirements or allergies.
Some Items Are Allowed In Rehab While Others Are Not
There are clinics that may permit items that are forbidden in others as every centre has its regulations. A lot of things are off limits in nearly all centres, but these items might be allowed in some
- Cell Phone and Laptop
- You will be able to use these items at certain times if they are permitted by your clinic.
- Just make sure that your chargers and power cords are brought with you.
- There are facilities that allow patients to bring cigarettes.
- Although you have this privilege, you are limited to a number of specified quantities allowed.
- Multivitamins and OTC Drugs
- As long as they are new and never opened during admission.
- They have to be closed and sealed.
- Music and CD Player
- You should not be able to access the internet with these device else it will taken from you.
- Cameras are allowed by some treatment centres.
- Shaving Equipments
- This depends on the rehab facility since it is considered dangerous.
- Disposable razors, however, are more often than not allowed.
- Nail Cutters
- Clippers are allowed although some centres consider this as a contraband.
- Things That Remind You Of Home
- You may have permission to bring your own bedding, pillows, and objects that help you feel relaxed.
- Don't pack any of these objects without contacting your clinic first.
Will My Property Be Handed Over If It Was Confiscated Upon Admission
Your property will always be safe. You close relative will be advised to go back with these items. Many others will hold the items for 24 hours until someone comes over to pick them up. Your objects can be kept at the centre until you finish your therapy.
This is mainly in instances where the close relatives are far and cannot come immediately. You should check with the centre what items are allowed and what are not before packing. Any prohibited items that they have confiscated are expected to be returned. If the centres do not store the items, you can ask them to ship them back for you.
Packing For Rehabilitation Can Be Easy If you have doubts about some object review your clinic's regulations. Facilitate the application process by reviewing the packing checklist of your clinic's website. The best thing is to make sure that you have essential stuff with you.
Act Now For Help
There are a lot of facilities that permits you to personal items to decorate or personalize your space. Talk to our experts who can assist you in your goal of locating a suitable treatment centre.
We can help you find the best centre, call us today on 0800 772 3971.